Thread: Bad renters
View Single Post

Old 08-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

The internet is a wonderful thing.. First off, I would never consider renting to anyone that wouldnt provide me a photocopy of drivers license.
Next, nearly all of my renters had at least one person in the couple on Linkedin.. Of course facebook is next .. If they don;t appear on either, you need to find another way to get to know them. For longer term rentals, I wouldnt do a background and credit check. Next, and somewhat controversial, I'm reluctant to rent to someone outside the US.. Why, because in the event of default / damage, it;s nearly impossible to get and enforce a judgement on them. In my many years of renting in numerous states, the only time I wasnt able to collect a judgement or garnish wages was when a renter returned to Canada. The only time I had a little bit of trouble here in the Villages was renting to a Canadian. As I;ve said to folks over the years .. if you wouldn't give someone the keys to your car, why in the heck would you give them the keys to your house ?? You have to be comfortable.