View Single Post

Old 08-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiganne View Post
I too have VA healthcare as I am 100% disabled Veteran. While I agree the care is good the government red tape it takes to get a referral outside of the system is long monthly wait. I just went through it and if you don’t keep on top of it and make plenty of phone calls you soon get forgotten in the seas of others who need the same services. I had my top teeth removed April 9th. To date I still don’t have any dentures to eat with. Can you imagine having to not have teeth for over 4 months and eating soggy cereal. I just got an appointment to start the process but it took a call to DC Veterans Healthcare to get it up and moving. I will agree when you get care the appointments with the doctors are not rushed. They are not under insurance time restraints of having to see so many patients a day and schedule plenty of time with each patient to discuss concerns. Ok now imagine every citizen is offered the same type of care. Can you imagine? After working as an RN in healthcare for 20 years I can guarantee that there will not be enough doctors to see that many people. The care will decline. Also do people who have worked all of their lives for the benefit of having Medicare want to lumped into a group including every US citizens. Hospitals stay open not because profits they make from Medicare but from private insurance. Hospital administrators have already said if Medicare for all were implemented it would close their doors. What would we do without hospitals. Private insurance has worked fine for years. It was only when the government started getting involved in healthcare did we have problems that are massive. The Medicare and social security programs are already broke because our lovely congress had borrowed from it. I don’t think the cost of Medicare for all would even be feasible. Thoughts??? Just my two cents worth that is probably only worth a penny!
I am sorry to hear of your problems. I too have VA healthcare and am very happy with it.

It does sound like the areas you are experiencing the most issues are involved in having to go OUTSIDE the system, and I can see how that would be a night mare. The idea of medicare for all is there is no "outside the system" so there is no authorization, there is no complicated approval process etc.