Thread: Steel studs
View Single Post

Old 08-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 1979 I built this home in Pensacola, 2480 Semoran Drive, it's off Scenic Hwy one block off the bay. I used 6" studs 24" on center, I was able to use R19 Batts instead of R13 Batts, which were standard at the time. All double pane insulated windows, I used about 10 cans of foam and sealed all the bottom and top plates, corners and T's.

I drew the plans myself and took them to a residential designer, you didn't need an architect unless it was commercial property. I was the general contractor, you don't need a license in Florida if you don't resell within the first year. This was my fourth home, the first two were new by a builder and I watched them as they were being built. The third I built myself and after I lived in it a year, I had the itch to build a bigger home and this was the fourth. As far as labor, I did all the inside painting, doors and trim and the outside landscaping and sod. I finished the home in 11 weeks from the time we broke ground to the time we moved in. I also had an 18 X 36 pool in the backyard. Total cost with lot, home and pool $78,000.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida