View Single Post

Old 08-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
We are about to retire, thus we will no longer have our Highmark BC/BS employer coverages. We have spoken to consultants about both the Medicare Advantage and Supplemental plans. We are leaning toward a BC/BS supplemental plan. This decision is based on our experience with our current employer BC/BS plan.

We've also been told by SHINE that Village Healthcare and the Village Hospital accept the advantage plans but not supplemental. They also informed us that there are very good medical services surrounding the Villages who do accept supplemental plans.

We would appreciate thoughts and recommendations for general practitioners. Thank you!
Can you keep your employer plan after you retire? If so, you may not need to sign up for Medicare at all. I retired from the Federal Government, and I still maintain my Federal Blue Cross insurance as my only health insurance. It has a $5,000 annual catastrophic limit which I can easily afford, if necessary. I just cannot justify a $265 per month Medicare Part B premium plus another $200 or so per month supplemental premium plus $85 per month for drug coverage.