View Single Post

Old 08-06-2019, 10:58 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I have enjoyed a home in Corona Del Mar, CA for almost 30 years but have owned property in central Florida (Lakeland), lived in the desert southwest and midwest and on the east coast from the mid-Atlantic area south to Key Biscayne. If you live in San Diego and are relatively near the ocean you enjoy what most folks consider to be the best weather and climate in the world. Moving anywhere in the USA from there would be an adjustment unless it was up the coast up to about Santa Barbara.

In my experience the midwest, south and east coast suffer hot and humid summers. The chief difference from place to place is in how long they last. In central Florida that hot and humid summer can last 6 months or more and the winters can be a bit chilly, at least for what I expected for Florida - it is not like Miami. Many central Floridians I have known escape the long hot humid summers by getting away to second homes in cooler places, such as in the mountains of North Carolina. In SD people rarely encounter mosquitos or even many flies and rarely would need to spray toxic pesticides all around. One can eat outside morning to night without being pestered by flies or mosquitos. TV is very clean and relatively bug free compared to its surrounding areas probably due to maintaining an insecticide spraying program. SD does not experience much lightning. TV lies within Florida's "Lightning Alley" which experiences the third most lightning strikes of anywhere in the world. Is Florida really the lightning capital of the world? - Orlando Sentinel

When was the last time SD experienced a hurricane? Prepare yourself for those and occasional tornado threats. Tornadoes*a real nightmare to Florida retirees - CNN.com

Although you will no longer need to worry about earthquakes sinkholes can pop up anywhere, anytime. 'Enough is Enough': Sinkhole still causing headaches in The...

All that being said life in TV is enjoyed by most of the residents as there is so much for seniors to do and one can live very inexpensively compared to SD. Gas is not currently $4.00/gal; happy hours drinks run about $3.00 - truly unbelievable to Californians!

Also Florida does not tax personal income. CA's current top rate is 13.3% I believe.

What I discovered is that most residents who are not Florida natives from elsewhere in the state are "weather refugees" from "up north" wherever that may be so the weather is wonderful to them compared to the harsh winters they escape.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-06-2019 at 11:40 PM.