Forums

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Single Post
Working To Live Vs. Living To Work

Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Sage

Default Working To Live Vs. Living To Work

Going to funerals puts me in a reflective mood.

Yesterday I went to the funeral of the husband of a long time friend/former coworker of mine. Al was fortunate to get a very nice early retirement package at age 60. He took the retirement package with happiness and enjoyed his years of retirement. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with a brain tumor 2 years ago, and passed away a few days ago at the age of 79.
Al worked to live.

Last year I went to the funeral of another long time friend/former coworker who fought serious illness for the last several years of her life. About 4 years before Pat passed away, she was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after her blood sugar soared. Pat spent 3 days in the hospital getting her blood sugar under control. I gently suggested to Pat that maybe it was time for her to cut back and work part-time and enjoy her grandchildren. Her answer was "I'm too busy at work to go to part time hours. I will probably die at my desk."

Unfortunately, Pat's cancer came back in early last year. Finally she told her employer that she was taking a medical leave of absence "Until I get better." Two weeks later she was in hospice. Two weeks after that Pat passed away. So Pat almost did "die at her desk."
Pat lived to work.

I guess we all must do what makes us happy and fulfilled, but if someone left $500K in my mailbox tomorrow, I would drop down to work 25 hours a week in a New York minute (and kidnap my father and move both of us to The Villages).