View Single Post

Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Sage
Default Working To Live Vs. Living To Work

Going to funerals puts me in a reflective mood.

Yesterday I went to the funeral of the husband of a long time friend/former coworker of mine. Al was fortunate to get a very nice early retirement package at age 60. He took the retirement package with happiness and enjoyed his years of retirement. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with a brain tumor 2 years ago, and passed away a few days ago at the age of 79.
Al worked to live.

Last year I went to the funeral of another long time friend/former coworker who fought serious illness for the last several years of her life. About 4 years before Pat passed away, she was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after her blood sugar soared. Pat spent 3 days in the hospital getting her blood sugar under control. I gently suggested to Pat that maybe it was time for her to cut back and work part-time and enjoy her grandchildren. Her answer was "I'm too busy at work to go to part time hours. I will probably die at my desk."

Unfortunately, Pat's cancer came back in early last year. Finally she told her employer that she was taking a medical leave of absence "Until I get better." Two weeks later she was in hospice. Two weeks after that Pat passed away. So Pat almost did "die at her desk."
Pat lived to work.

I guess we all must do what makes us happy and fulfilled, but if someone left $500K in my mailbox tomorrow, I would drop down to work 25 hours a week in a New York minute (and kidnap my father and move both of us to The Villages).