Thread: Prostate Cancer
View Single Post

Old 08-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I am not sure how old he is or what his Gleason score is. These matter, as well as his overall health. If he lives around here, and I am assuming he does, I would recommend he get an opinion from the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I went there and had a good outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
A lot depends on how aggressive the cancer is and his age. I had a very aggressive type at a younger age so my only real choice was surgery. There are side effects such as incontinence and ED. Also, by having surgery first, I was still eligible for radiation if needed. You should have this discussion with his Dr. There is also a prostate cancer support group in the Villages with a wealth of info
Both of the above posts are good advise as I also am a 3 year prostate cancer survivor. I had a Gleason score of 7 at a relatively young age and opted to have my prostate removed. Good thing I did because the post operation pathology report showed the cancer had broken through the prostate wall (making it stage 3), but I was lucky it had not yet spread to my pelvic lymph nodes and the margins were clean. If I had waited, it was only a matter of time before it spread. My primary care physician saved my life finding the tumor during my annual physical. I get a PSA test every 6 months and so far the PSA levels have been undetectable, so far so good. I was lucky to have had one of the best urological surgeons in world, Dr. Francis McGovern, out of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. I would highly recommend him if it is logistically and insurance wise possible. Best of luck!