View Single Post

Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

There was a gentleman who worked in the maintenance department at one of the sites I supported, and he decided to retire at age 70. Many co-workers chided him that he should stick around as the company was in the process of a merger and if he waited, he would collect 100 weeks pay (yes, 100 weeks) if he was selected for separation AFTER the merger. The merger was almost two years into the process, but not finalized, and so he decided that he was not going to wait. He was 70, felt he was financially secure and wanted to enjoy whatever time he had left with his family. Unfortunately, 6 months after he retired, his wife of about 50 years unexpectedly passed away. I am sure he was far happier to have had that time with his wife than the real possibility of collecting 100 weeks pay.

On the other side, my last leader, who was one of the best leaders I had, is still working because of finances. He is taking Nexium in the morning, and Prilosec at night. He is caught between supporting his staff and the unreasonable demands of his leader and the client leaders. I know exactly what he is going through as I turned down a promotion to take a similar role at another site-I did not want the stress, especially near the end of my career.

I am fortunate that I was able to retire before the age of 60 and I too have never looked back. I honestly think the stress might have done me in.