View Single Post

Old 08-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,531 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Dayton shooter wore mask (for gas I suppose) and bullet proof vest (expecting to be shot).

One of the very nice things about the US is (coming from a country in Europe where I had to duck behind the bushes as a 6 year old while going to buy milk because of war) is that I don’t have to carry to go to Publix or the Square or sleep with a gun under my pillow. Just stay away from some questionable neighborhoods in cities etc. I can’t tell you what a relief it is.
Except this all seems to be changing, and that's why we have these discussions here and elsewhere on the internet, in political arenas, in coffeeshops, in knitting circles, and most of the rest of the civilized world.

The Stoneman Douglas school shooting occurred in Parkland, Florida, a wealthy city of under 30,000 people. Median income is $131,000, median house price is alomst $600,000.

The Sandy Hook massacre occurred in a sleepy little village-type neighborhood of one of the richest towns in Connecticut, which is one of the richest states in the country.

It CAN happen here. It CAN happen anywhere. Denial won't save your life. Do you need to be in panic mode 24/7? Nope. Do you "need" to carry a gun just in case? Probably not. Is it healthy to have cautious optimism? Absolutely, as long as you don't forget the "cautious" part of that.

An old tidbit of wisdom:

Trust in the Lord, but tie up your camel.