Thread: A big thank you
View Single Post

Old 08-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Another thing to check out is how easy it will be to sell in the unlikely event that you make the wrong decision and decide that the community you choose is not for you.

We bought in TV having never visited it (nor any other place) and not knowing anyone here. I had spent about 2 years in Brooklyn on line checking out places. TV hooked me for a number of reasons.

1. I liked the fact that homes turn over quickly so that we could easily and quickly resell if we didn't like it.

2. I liked the fact that when one of us predeceases the other, there would be plenty of activities for me as a widow or plenty of women lining up to help hubby reconcile his checkbook if I went first. (A little tongue-in-cheek but I really did think about this.)

3. I liked the fact that we are close enough to Disney that distant family may want to visit yet not so close that we would be innundated with company.

4. I liked the fact that there was such a strong online community in TOTV that empowered me -- I can't begin to rate how important it has been to us for information and referrals. Most communities don't have such a strong and vibrant online presence, as far as I can tell. Not to mention all the "friends" I have made even though we may not have yet met.

5. Although at first glance, I was dismayed at how close the houses are to each other, I am thrilled now that when sitting on our lanai we have all the privacy that we want yet when we go out the front door we don't feel isolated. At our age, I think this has become increasingly important and doubt I would ever move to a place with lots of acreage. Especially in the event of medical emergencies, etc

On the other side of the coin, we still yearn for the dining choices we left behind but I don't think there are too many places that offer us what we have here as well as the culinary choices. (I continue to scratch my head at the number of fast-food chains here in TV -- should people our age really be eating that way?) . But you do adjust. We still don't have a "favorite" restaurant. But there are places where we have favorite items. NE clam chowder from Red Lobster, Fried Calamari from Giovanni's, Chicken Katsu from VKI Japanese Steakhouse, Burgers from Culver's, etc etc.
I also agree. . . .great post, excellent insights.