View Single Post

Old 08-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Did many people leave during Hurricane Irma? Nobody on our block did. I could see I-75 as being crowded with people leaving Naples, Sarasota, Tampa/St. Pete, but in TV everyone should of stayed put and that would of placed less cars on the interstate.
Hindsight is always 20/20. Most people here didn't leave because they didn't predict that it would take a left around Tampa, move inland and then go north right over The Villages. The people on the coast thought they were going to take a direct hit of a very powerful, deadly hurricane. This was the strongest hurricane to hit Florida since Wilma and had caused considerable damage and many deaths. The state ordered a mandatory evacuation of many coastal areas and people followed that order. I don't blame them for that decision. My in-laws lived near Tampa, evacuated and tried to drive to Pensacola and it took them 12 hours from Tampa to just get to Pensacola on 75 and they were lucky to find a place to stay. This is part of the reason FL is now looking to extend the Turnpike all the way to I-10. I wouldn't want to be in any EV during a time like that even though I would like to buy a Tesla, I would definitely have a car that uses gas for emergencies