Thread: Bad renters
View Single Post

Old 08-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
The answer is pretty simple. You can rent to anyone who can own - so they have to be 19 or older. Anyone who rents to anyone that age is nuts.

I have been renting 2 homes for over 5 years. In that time we have had 2 couples under 60, and they were in their early 50s. For the most part, those who can rent a house for a month for the prices we charge are retired or partially retired, so they are all older.

To be honest, you guys need to chill out. Villages Renters are awesome people who leave the houses better than they found them. I have had renters rehang towel bars, rehang a picture that fell, and change the batteries in all the smoke detectors (I was informed of all of these as a courtesy AFTER they were done). We have withheld $50 from 2 renters deposits due to them not following the checkout instructions (and I felt bad, because the house was pretty clean, they just left more than one load of Laundry so I got charged more). These are people who can write checks for $6 or $8000 dollars a year ahead of their rental, they are a class of people who take care of things.

The big thing is to phone interview prospective tennants - you will know 10 minutes into the conversation if you should rent to them.
Mom and Dad rented in TVs for years. They ALWAYS left the property better than when they came. There are good renters.