View Single Post

Old 08-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default ‘Deprogramming’ a relative in a cult.

A very old friend of mine, is at his wit’s end with his 27 year old granddaughter (her parents are deceased)...who has apparently become deeply involved in a cult.

Since I feel very fortunate that I’ve never personally had this particular problem, all I can do for my friend is to lend a sympathetic ear…and try to do research to see if I can forward any helpful advice to him.

He has said that the most confusing part for him, is that she’s not a drug/alcohol abuser, acts normal and kind in a lot of other ways…but is absolutely closed off and becomes irate to ANY criticism (even factual ones) of her group.

Anyone ever go through this, or know someone who did, and if so how did you/they handle it…and was it successful?

This particular link seems to cover a lot of the same issues and problems...that he’s described to me.

Cults (Poke Here)

Quote:

How Cults Manipulate People

Many people now agree that cults frequently psychologically manipulate their membership to ensure conformity and control. Steve Hassan's excellent book "Combating Cult Mind-Control" is a great starting point. The following points come from numerous sources. Not all of these are found in every cult but enough of them are found in most cults to make them very frightening places that inflict deep psychological damage on their membership.

1. Submission to Leadership - Leaders tend to be absolute, prophets of God, God Himself, specially anointed apostle, or just a strong, controlling, manipulative person who demands submission even if changes or conflicts occur in ideology or behavior.

2. Polarized World View - The group is all that is good; everything outside is bad.

3. Feeling Over Thought - Emotions, intuitions, mystical insights are promoted as more important than rational conclusions.

4. Manipulation of Feelings - Techniques designed to stimulate emotions, usually employing group dynamics to influence responses.

5. Denigration of Critical Thinking - Can go so far as to characterize any independent thought as selfish, and rational use of intellect as evil.

6. Salvation or Fulfillment can only be realized in the group.

7. End Justifies the Means - Any action or behavior is justifiable as long as it furthers the group's goals. The group (leader) becomes absolute truth and is above all man-made laws.

8. Group Over Individual - The group's concerns supersede an individual's goals, needs, aspirations, and concerns. Conformity is the key.