View Single Post

Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Not sure how the topic got switched to or at least zeroed in on religion.

This topic is discussed more and more every day in this country as folks try to hide from reality. Religion sometimes is used as a phoney crutch but further investigation would reveal it is a sham. NO religion condones much of any cult action. It has been used as an attraction but certainly not limited to that aspect of life.

I read a book on the Jonestown debacle and all the criteria listed fit.

Exactly.

I've purposely avoided speaking of specifics as to what type of cult she is in...as there are many, many types.

What almost ALL cults have in common however, are most of the items listed in the first post, so reviewing them...might be a good thing.

Combined with the fact that anyone in any type of cult are most likely to both deny any facts and vigorously defend it, until such time (as someone mentioned previously)...THEY have chosen to recognize/listen to the truth and want to change.

This is more of a quest of HOW to convince someone who has, in essence, become brainwashed...finally admit that to themselves.

When facts, proof, similar examples and the truth don't seem to make much difference, because it's primarily a 'gut' feeling (and/or bias) of the affected...where does one go from there?

After all, the willingness and courage to stand up and admit one is/was wrong, is a trait that is rarer than it should be...and only the strongest among us seem to be able to do.

My buddy is primarily looking for that opening, regardless of how small...that will begin to get through to his beloved granddaughter.