View Single Post

Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

The Computer Club is a good resource. However, I think outside the box.

As far as "Cutting the cord" I used the Amazon Firestick and went to Do It Yourself Tech Projects For Home & Small Business to download apps to watch movies and TV shows. This is sometimes referred to as "jail-breaking". While this sounds "illegal" I contend that Amazon sends down updates to the Firestick and if they thought that is was illegal they could turn that option off.

On old Windows PCs, I have been looking at how most of the people in The Villagers use their Windows PC. Since most are not working, they no longer need their company software. Most of them surf the web, do Facebook, Twitter, Banking, etc.

You don't need Windows (with all the overhead that goes with it) to do all that.

I believe in K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple & Safe). A Chromebook does not get viruses or malware (depending on how you define that). It stores all your documents on the Google Drive. If your Chromebook breaks all you need to do is buy a need one and sign in, that's it, everything you had comes right back.

The other option I believe in is Linux. Linux is an operating system something like Windows, again like the Chromebook, does not need antivirus software and has thousands of programs that work very much like their Windows versions. I use the Mint 19.1 version of Linux because it is the most Windows "ish". By that I mean that of the over the dozen of people I convert to Linux Mint, none have asked to go back (I give them option by exchanging their hard drive with one that has Linux Mint on it and after a few weeks of using Linux they give me permission to use their old drive for another Linux conversion).

Linux gives new life to "old" PCs that are running slow.