View Single Post

Old 08-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
My wife fell and broke both ankles while in South Carolina on 8/17. We went to a local Urgent Care where they took xrays and splinted her. They advised to see an ortho as soon as possible. They gave us the written report as well as a disc containing the xrays.
8/19 we call our provider, and are told we could see a PA late in the afternoon. (At this point, she is in excruciating pain, meds not helping.) I told them that we had xrays in hand, along with physicians's report, and we needed to see ortho. They refused, said the PA needed to see her to evaluate. We then called ortho directly. I again told them we had xrays and report, and the condition my wife was in. They said they could fit her in in OCTOBER. Two broken ankles and they think she should wait two months. We then called an ambulance to have her taken to the Villages Hospital. We were advised to go to Ocala, as Villages hospital was not capable of treating this type of injury. So off to Ocala we went. She was re-xrayed, resplinted, and was told to see their ortho ASAP. We saw him about two hours later. Examined, resplinted (because VHS would not allow him to put her in boots, wants their own supplier) and sent on her way. Fortunately, no surgery was needed, but it was explained that if she had not been treated promptly, she could have further injured herself.
Is it reasonable for VHS ortho to defer treatment for two freshly broken ankles for TWO MONTHS?? The docs at Ocala certainly didn't think so.
We both have the same PC in VHS, and I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. She is going to get an earful. As will the people in the VHS office in Sumter Landing. Again, two broken ankles, don't bother treating for two months?? I think this is borderline malpractice.

Sadly, gone are the days when your doctor made house calls and knew you as a human being. Today, the most important medical question is, what insurance do you have?

When, you call the doctor's office, you do not speak to the doctor. The person you speak to is mostly like a travel agent.
Her computer tells her opened seats on Tuesday. That booking agent, your first contact with an office is actually a very important staff member. She has little or no medical training.
She can get hit with several calls at once and some calls are frankly unreasonable

We hear, we are told that you get better care from private healthcare rather than using a hospital emergency room. Frankly, it depends what for.