Thread: Trash Option
View Single Post

Old 08-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage

This is not reasonable because you cannot expect the guys doing the trash pickup to keep track of which houses they accept trash from. Besides, it would quickly be gamed. I believe the only way a true “pay for service system” could be implemented is if they only picked up “approved garbage bags” that you would need to buy. I don’t see that happening here for a variety of reasons. That system did work in our previous community - trash pickup was at your discretion and the vendor only picked up their containers (pretty much the same thing as “approved garbage bags”). The cost was higher than here. The current system works well because the trash pickup guys sweep through very quickly picking up everything in sight and the vendor knows exactly what their revenues and costs will be. Besides, for what we get the price is a bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I would say then, rather than not raise the price, or charge nothing for the months that snowbirders aren't there..something like this:

A minimum required monthly fee for every household, for once-weekly pickup. It would cover the trash contractor's minimum costs of doing business plus minimal profit margin required to continue servicing the Villages.

The second day's pickup would be billed to those who want that second day's pickup. It would not be a minimal charge, and it would be a subscription service, with a minimum 3 consecutive month charge.

The second day would also include the recycling and yard waste, and you'd pay for it even if you don't have any yard waste or recycling to do that week. Your second-day fee would include these services, and you can use or not use them however you see fit.

Sort of like - I pay amenity fees every month, whether I'm living down there to use those amenities or not. I can't tell them "Oh I'm not there 6 months out of the year, I don't have to pay for them til I get back."

In other words, everyone pays a minimum, for minimal service whether they use it or not. If you want more than the minimal service, you have to pay extra.

That way the contractor gets what he needs to keep his people paid, his machines in good condition, all HIS fees paid, and the only time you pay extra is if you choose to opt in to the extra fee for extra services.

Last edited by biker1; 08-25-2019 at 11:06 AM.