Thread: Trash Option
View Single Post

Old 08-26-2019, 03:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
1. welcome to my world, with regards to posting on-topic opinions.

2. the glitch in your idea is that it costs the same amount of money for a truck to pick up 4 pounds of trash from your house as it does to pick up 1/4 pound of trash from your house. The cost to do business from the location where the truck started out, to the location where he empties his truck, is the same no matter what. So that means if people aren't paying anything because they're not home, everyone else has to absorb that cost.

The route doesn't change, and they still have to go slowly, using the same amount of gas, labor, man-hours, etc.

Think of it from the reverse perspective: making you pay a share, is incentive for you to not spend months away from the house. You're paying to be there!
But I'm not sure I agree with your #2. If a truck is picking up 1/4 lb of trash as opposed to 4 lbs of trash, it would be making fewer trips to the landfill. Thus savings in gas and time. This assumes the trucks now make more than one trip, though--a point of which I have no knowledge.

As for the public dumpsters, I agree with everyone else that they would be an eyesore, smelly, and rat-infested. The public dumpsters where we live in the summer are in two spots, both on the outskirts of town and hidden from view by tall live hedges.

I can't imagine every postal station in TV having dumpsters.