View Single Post

Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 AM
Default Teachers salaries.

Spent my career in public education, much of it in Fl and some in Lake and Sumter. I think there is some mistake about the salary schedule, not sure and not trying to take an "I know attitude", but if they have actually gone "backward" on the schedule since I retired, you must have been looking at the B.S./B.A. level which, in most public school districts in most states, stops anywhere between the 12 to the 15th year. There are few teachers who are content to spend an additional 15, even 20 years at a "bottom out" level. This is intentional on the part of the residents of communities, school board members, and administrators, to encourage teachers to not end their education at the bachelor's level and 30 years down the road have not added to their skills and education. Having said that, of course the "best" teachers in all the districts where I was privileged to be a building and district central administrator, were not always the highest paid. It is exactly like those of us who have spend out careers in school administration know, the number of dollars spent per student (past a base level of course), does not translate to an outstanding education. When I worked as a principal and central office administrator, when zero based budgeting was "imposed" on us, the truth is, money was no longer foolishly spent. Just some thoughts. Interesting that those in the most affluent schools and districts are turning against "bookless" schools where children spend the school hours the same as home and recreation hours; staring at screens. The public CAN have fabulous schools, for free, NO, but most outside the education community have no idea how much can really be accomplished with actually a minimum budget. Food for thought from 40 years experience at every level, elementary school to inner city high school principal, to central office administrator, to university professor, money is not what needs to change. Hope this sparks thoughts, not nasty remarks and hateful statements without thinking..... everyone, even "poor" communities can have exceptional schools.

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 08-27-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: typo