View Single Post

Old 08-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It's surprising how different food is in Italy. My grandparents came from Avellino in Campagna. My grandmother cooked pasta with tomato sauce and some kind of meat every day and my mother used her same recipe but most of the food in Italy is very different than what they made. I have to wonder if the types of food are very localized. Tuscany is in the north. I guessing that most Italian food that we have here is more from the south. I think that originally a lot of the early Italian immigrant were from Sicily.

As you get into the very northern part of Italy you'll find people with blond hair and blue eyes and very, very different food. They are more like the Swiss.

I guess my point is that we have restaurants in this country that are owned by people who have come from Italy yet the food is very different than what they have over there. I am wondering why.
The foodstuffs in the USA have had most of the flavor processed out of them over the decades...I suspect for food safety reasons.

I can't even find a decent flavorful chicken egg in the USA.

It is getting harder to keep the weight off so I am down to just beef, pork, eggs, shrimp, and tuna now. Carbohydrates are totally out so Italian food is out

Pro Tip: Go to Florence Italy to any hole-in-the-wall restaurant and order an authentic Bistecca alla Fiorentina (from Chianina). It will be the best thing you ever put in your mouth!