View Single Post

Old 09-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Just trying to be "helpful" here. You are still breaking the law, even if "you" think that (any) stop sign is "unnecessary".
Steve
I don't believe since it is all on private property that the PD can do anything there. Generally all signage (in order to be "ticketable" and official) must be approved by the PD or whatever part of the government handles signage or it isn't "valid." Not sure you can just stick up a stop sign or even a stop light anywhere you please and have it be a "legal" sign where a cop can issue a ticket that can't be overturned. Especially when it comes to a private parking lot and the MMP. I think it would lose in a court if one was ticketed there based on "not an approved sign." I wish it was though. At least that's how it worked up north. Whenever anyone got a stop sign ticket or speeding ticket the first thing they would do is check with the township to possibly challenge the legality of the sign or the calibration of a radar gun. Not saying that is right, but sometimes it worked.