View Single Post

Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The water in The Villages is pretty good as compared with other water systems I have used. So, I don't think either a filter or a softener is needed. But, a softener is specifically designed to prevent calcium deposits. I don't understand why someone would want to filter all the water in the house. I also don't like the idea that water is sitting in these systems without circulating all the time. I have a concern that the water could become contaminated. I also know that some people will disagree with everything I said.
Maybe I'm way off here but doesn't water "sit" in your hot water heater" with all the crud buildup in it and only circulate when you use hot water? Not much different from siting in a water filter and cold water is used many times during the day that would flush it especially for FLUSHING! but tha's why it is a filter, no? I'd be more concerned getting sprayed by the poopy smelling irrigation water here then water from a filter.

Then you ask WHY? Ask my wife. We moved in here 2 1/2 yrs ago and the day she took her first shower she said the chlorine was going to kill her hair and skin and the water smelled like a swimming pool (slight hyperbole). We put in the whole house filter (how else can you remove chlorine from 2 showers?) and it made a 100% difference and she was happy! Thank heavens for that.

As for calcium, we weren't here long enough before putting in the filter to notice any but we have had absolute ZERO traces of calcium in 2 1/2 years including 2 years 3 months having the whole house filter (NO softener). Maybe Amelia has no calcium issues, but either way there is none. Oh, another plug for the Nova system.