View Single Post

Old 09-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,746 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Maybe I'm way off here but doesn't water "sit" in your hot water heater" with all the crud buildup in it and only circulate when you use hot water? Not much different from siting in a water filter and cold water is used many times during the day that would flush it especially for FLUSHING! but tha's why it is a filter, no? I'd be more concerned getting sprayed by the poopy smelling irrigation water here then water from a filter.

Then you ask WHY? Ask my wife. We moved in here 2 1/2 yrs ago and the day she took her first shower she said the chlorine was going to kill her hair and skin and the water smelled like a swimming pool (slight hyperbole). We put in the whole house filter (how else can you remove chlorine from 2 showers?) and it made a 100% difference and she was happy! Thank heavens for that.

As for calcium, we weren't here long enough before putting in the filter to notice any but we have had absolute ZERO traces of calcium in 2 1/2 years including 2 years 3 months having the whole house filter (NO softener). Maybe Amelia has no calcium issues, but either way there is none. Oh, another plug for the Nova system.
I don't have a problem with water filters and softeners, if you like them. I just think that, for me, the tap water is fine and I have never had a whole house filter or softener. And, The Villages water is pretty good as compared with other tap water systems around the country. But, there have been studies that have shown that the water filter material can harbor bacteria, especially if they are not properly maintained. Just google it. Tap water that you drink should always have a certain amount of chlorine in it to be safe, according the the EPA. With regard to the water heater, I am not as concerned because you don't drink the hot water.