View Single Post

Old 09-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
One thing that has bothered me for years is the fact that the AMA Has limited the amount of doctors that graduate every year. Everybody screamed competition competition will lower the cost of everything from airplane flights to buying widgets. I think it is a big Foss that only a certain few select people from either A certain ethnicity Or an affluent family get accepted to med school every year this is baloney. I'm quite sure in this country there are many qualified students who could become doctors and do a fabulous job. We have enough English majors and people who graduate and going to social services in this country. We could mass-produce doctors the same way we mass-produce lawyers. Some of these nurse practitioners are as qualified as many of the doctors practicing today. So let's start with controlling the health cost at its source. That's enough I'll only go on and on most people will not agree with me that's your prerogative.
The problem isn't so much producing more doctors, but making it a viable career path. A doctor comes out of school with a mountain of debt, and very little earning ability. A few "get rich", most work themselves to death trying to pay the bills, pay the staff, pay the student loan, pay the insurance, etc.

Many (most?) leave private gate practice and go with a group where they have lower expenses, but a huge work load and little satisfaction.