View Single Post

Old 09-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
It is a fact that Obama had a filibuster proof majority for approximately 72 days during his first term. The Democrats didn't have it when he first took office - Al Franken wasn't sworn in until July due to a recount battle, and Ted Kennedy was too ill to participate. 72 days is a pretty short time period given the typical time constraints in American politics and the obstructionism Democrats were facing from the opposite party. Frankly, I'm amazed they could get the Affordable Care Act passed at all, albeit with many compromises. I personally like working with what we have, make it better, and give people a public option if they choose. It would cost far less, and the money that we have wasted giving corporations little needed tax cuts (Amazon pays zero tax!) could pay for it if we got rid of the corporate giveaways.
The ACA requires all employers with more than 50 employees to provide affordable health insurance for their employees. How would a public option fit into that requirement? I suspect that, if you take away the employer requirement, then employers would cancel the insurance and require their employees to sign up for the public option, thereby taking away the "option".