View Single Post

Old 09-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The double yellow lines in the roadways are there for a reason. They define the space you have to keep your vehicle in the road.

I have seen, time and time again, folks crossing over the double yellow lines to give themselves more clearance from a golf cart which is well within their space in the golf cart lane. The roadway I travel most often within The Villages which has the double yellow lines is Odell Circle.

It surely isn't "snowbirds" who are guilty of this at this time of year. It is the full time residents who seem to have a big problem keeping in their space in the roadway. Is it a problem with spacial orientation? Is it a problem with depth perception? What exactly is the reason a driver seems to feel they must try to avoid a golf cart which is perfectly in their golf cart lane by crossing over the double yellow lines?

Do you recognize yourself or do you do this and not even realize you are doing this? One of these days, a car will enter the roadway in the opposite direction from a side street and a head on collision will occur. There is no reason to cross over the double yellow lines. There is plenty of room for four vehicles in these roads........one car and one golf cart in one direction and one car and one golf cart in the opposite direction. All four vehicles can be along side each other in the road and there is plenty of room for all four vehicles. I would, however, yield to a large service vehicle such as a fire truck. In that case, maybe four vehicles would not fit all in one line across the road.

Bottom line......please refrain from crossing the double yellow lines when driving alongside a golf cart which is well withing the golf cart lane. You will fit......I promise.
Soon will be able to blame the snowbirds