View Single Post

Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
First they came for your car keys, then they came for your life. Once you start using language like "be allowed to...", where does it end?

Florida has mandatory license renewal. No one gets a free ride without getting an eye test. I have seen many 20 somethings with a death wish on the road, yet other than GG, no one else has brought that up. Drive defensively, always, and you'll outlive the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd.
I don't care how old you are, if you have trouble driving, then you shouldn't drive. As we age, our depth perception, reflexes, peripheral vision, muscle control, and hearing start to shift. Some people take longer than others, but ultimately - the aging process will occur whether you want it to or not.

By around 65, motor coordination is _most likely_ to start to lag a bit. That doesn't mean everyone will suddenly stop moving correctly on their 65th birthday. It DOES mean that somewhere around that age, is when your machinery will not be as well oiled as it used to be.

It's a good age to swap out the 8-year license renewals for a 4-year license renewal, and require a physical driving test in addition to an eye test. I know there are laws that have changed since I took my written exam in my state. I spent most of my life obeying the laws that I knew - such as approximately how far away you should be, behind the person driving in front of you.

But that was before the advent of anti-lock breaks and all-wheel drive. The rules have changed, and so now the criteria for "driving too close" moving violations is different from what it used to be.

What I think is tailgating, because I'm used to one set of laws, is actually reasonable, according to the current set of laws.

A lot of older drivers are in the same situation - they spent their lives with one set of laws, not really understanding how new laws might affect their own driving experience.

So between the physical aging process, updated or changed laws, and eyesight issues - I think it's a good idea to shorten the length of time between renewals, AND take a physical test again.