Thread: advice please
View Single Post

Old 09-30-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjan1 View Post
We just picked out a new house and just got an email about upgrades that we can have done before we move in. We live out of state and bought the house having never seen it - via a FaceTime video.

My husband is very handy and we have tons of tools, though we are probably selling most of them since the garage is so small.

There are several upgrades that we are considering, but is it better to have a handyman do it afterward?

We are considering solar tubes - they charge $800 each. Has anyone ever had them

Attic stairs - they charge $750. I looked on Amazon and they are less than $200. Can anyone tell me what the attic access looks like when you get it? Is the door already on a hinge?
I have 6 solar tubes in my house - love them - never have to turn the lights on at all during the day, and they really brighten the room. Be wary of putting them in places like bedrooms and living rooms - hard to relax with the glare in your face! That's high for attic stairs, and frankly, I just kept the pull-down attic ladder. As previous posters mentioned, you CANNOT store much up in the attic, the heat in the summer is incredible and damages many items. Had a neighbor who put a box of candles up there - at the end of the summer, they had a box with ONE candle - one large, melted mass of wax with multiple wicks in it!! The heat can fade colors, melt glues (used in suitcases), etc. Be careful! However, it is good to do "as much as you can do" before you move in - after you move your furniture, etc. into the place, it's not always as easy to work around it! Good luck!!