View Single Post

Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I had a $200 water bill 2 months ago but it was my fault. Had 2 new TOTO toilets installed when we moved in that are so quiet you can't hear them running after they fill the tank after the flush. Jacobs visited our house twice to tell us our water bill was too high and something was wrong. Couldn't find a leak anywhere but knew it was inside because meter stopped spinning when main shutoff was off. Had fears of underground break. Finally went around turning off water lines 1 at a time until we found the culprit. Turned out toilet in M/BR was forever running but with total silence. I replaced the $15 flapper unit which we killed with bleach tablets in the tank and the mysterious water running stopped as did our spinning meter. Bill down under $40. The crazy "flapper" (actually called a TOWER) they use runs 100% silent when it leaks and there is no sound of water filling the tank. The replacement one was the "normal" flapper and you can hear when the tank is filling if it leaks.
Had the same thing happen only a renter did the right thing and tell me about in. No problem I had a repairman out.

Renters sent him away as it was "too inconvenient" to repair it. No reschedule. I got a service call bill for his trouble(fair). Renters let it leak until they left. No one bothered to tell me about the situation.

That is what convinced me to get a leak monitor.