View Single Post

Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Topspinmo I hear you as I have seen the same in my neighborhood. However, if you have your irrigation system programmed correctly and you have the water to the house turned off while on vacation up north and you use 60,000 gallons of water then what is the problem? You have the system checked inside and out for leaks by experts, and can’t find any leaks it almost has to be a water meter problem. In some cases the water utility checked the meters, and found a “faulty” meter. An adjustment in the bill was made. In other cases the meter was said to be okay by the water utility and the owner had to reluctantly pay the high water bill. Can a lightning strike close by cause a temporary surge in a meter and when checked the meter be deemed okay? That question is above my pay grade and my expertise.
I think in case of snowbird I would have the water shut off and see if you got bill for that month showing the high usage. I also think lightning screws up settings on irrigation systems. I set mine and If I don’t monitor it closely it’s back to default mode watering 6 times week ( 3 during morning and three during evening). I would think lightning strike could mess with meter if it was close enough to metal lines. If the lines are PVC I would think lightning would have hit right by the meter to give erroneous reading.