View Single Post

Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 AM
Default Back to our roots

My wife, Trish, and I met in Miami in 1979 and moved to Southern California (aka SoCal) in 1982. After running our very successful specialty acoustical contracting company (Coustic-Glo) for many years we bit the bullet and just yesterday bought a one year old home in DeSoto. We first visited The Villages in the late 90s when my parents lived in Leesburg. Then we didn’t revisit until June 2018. We’ve been working since that visit to figure out how to get out of California and into The Villages. No politics discussion intended but our monthly living expenses will be cut in half. Our CA home sold in two weeks. Our best friends’ home just sold in 1 day and they will be following us down. Our California friends all want to know how we stand the heat, humidity, bugs, alligators and hurricanes. Since we’ve lived here before, we can say “been there, done that!” Of course we will no longer be experiencing those unannounced CA earthquakes. After the Northridge earthquake in 1994 we had to rebuild our home in the San Fernando Valley. For the past 21 years we had been living in Simi Valley. In California we are currently “homeless” living in our motorhome in an RV park. So now the transition gets challenging. Today we sit with a calendar and figure out the what’s and whens of our move. As soon as we have established residency in Florida, we’ll sell the business in CA and save ton of personal taxes. So I’ve talked too long here....we are very happy to be moving to TV and as my wife likes to say, “We can now drink the Koolaid” and tell everybody how wonderful The Villages is.