View Single Post

Old 10-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,499 Times in 3,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Curious as to what FEDERAL law that was? I managed a single multi-million$ location FT for a large national shipping franchise after I retired and before we moved here and I'm pretty sure I would (or SHOULD) have heard about that law. All the general info I can find is this: How many sick days is my employer legally required to provide? | Nolo

Sick pay/sick day laws seems to be up to state regs. All I see federally is the FMLA which has nothing to to with taking off for a cold or 1 hr off for 40 hrs worked and doesn't require pay at all, just the guarantee you'll have a job when you return.
Actually - you're right. I just double checked. I made an incorrect assumption that my state's law was a federal law. It isn't. This actually supports the concern even more then:

There is no law requiring businesses in this country to give their employees ANY sick time at all. It is exclusively on a state basis.

In fact, as of August 20's calculations, only 7 states have mandatory sick leave: Arizona, California, Massachusetts, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington State.

The rest of the country including DC, doesn't have to give a single hour's worth of paid sick time to its employees.

So now you know why so many people come to work sick. They don't get paid, if they don't come to work sick.

Some people actually rely on - y'know - getting paid - to cover expenses.