View Single Post

Old 10-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Good lord. It’s happened, get over it.

Nothing is going take away the tax increase no matter what side you’re on.

My new taxes are still a fraction of what they were in Illinois and even less than in Kansas City.

Move on to something else.
You are correct that nothing is going to take away the tax increase, but that doesen't make it right. What can be taken away are the jobs of the county commissioners that voted in the tax increase. That would certainly make the taxpayers that have been wronged at least feel a little bit better about being fleeced.

On another note, I am sick of hearing that taxes are still lower than wher I used to live. One of the reasons that people decided on the Villages is because the taxes are much lower than where they used to live. And the taxes should be lower for several reasons. Here are a few of those reasons. Taxes pay for a single charter school, not for an entire school system. Crime and accociated enforcement costs are much lower in a 55+ Community with relatively little crime compared to a typical urban area. Many northern communities have their trash and recycling costs included in their property taxes, unlike Sumter county. And the biggest cost difference is that Florida has no real winter, which entails huge snow removal costs and road treatments. The cost of keeping roads up north operable during winter is huge, and is only a portion of the cost of winter. Snow and ice, as well as frequent freezing, thawing, and refreezing causes severe and very expensive damage to roads and it occurs every year. I can only roll my eyes when Floridians complain about potholes. A road in Florida that is considered to be in horrible shape would be considered one of the better roads up north. The car we keep in Florida would be worthless at our home up north for about 5 months of the year. We could not get around during the winter and the first half of spring up north without a four wheel drive vehicle with big tires and lots of ground clearance. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the taxes should be much higher up north.