View Single Post

Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carenrn1 View Post
Politics as a topic has its place and its not on Talk of the Villages.

Friendships can be lost and grudges kept. Politics is also not a place to be brought up on Facebook. I have friends that have unfriended "friends" because of their political views e.g. comments stated on current political views and they no longer keep in contact with those people. I don't want this to happen here. I discontinued my Facebook account because I got fed up with all the politics. Let's keep The Villages Florida's friendliest home town!
"Unfriending" anyone based on one's political preference is immature in my opinion. I have a family member that I would debate politics with to the point where our spouses thought we were about to go to blows, but when supper was announced, we would laugh and retreat to the dining room. We have never been so close as we are today, and we are both with in the same small arena of the same ideology and we both end up voting for the same candidates. You see, you can be of the same party and yet still debate goals/agendas of your ideology. If my neighbor is not of common political ideology, I simply do not discuss politics with them. Being of differing political preferences does not make ANYONE my enemy and I consider them no worst than if they liked brussel sprouts, when the thought of those sprouts cause me nauseating images.
I would like to see the political forum reopened again for the upcoming presidential campaign, regardless of immature comments. If it becomes nasty enough to anger me, then I simply do as I do now on other forums and opt out of participating. I consider nasty comments to be a sign that the opposing view has won their argument and the debate is over.
Florida gives the motorcyclist the option of wearing a helmet or not. Florida gives the responsibility of motorcycle safety to the operator, not the government. Not being mandated to wear a helmet does not mean that one CANNOT wear a helmet, it just allows one to make their own choice.
Start up the political forum and assure the members of TOTV that they are not mandated to participate....