Thread: need new fridge
View Single Post

Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count'n the days View Post
Our Samsung french door fridge has served us well except for the ice maker. It's six years old and we started having problems with the ice maker freezing up right after the warranty expired. I understand it's a bad design and probably the reason the french door style didn't originally have ice and water dispensers in the door. We're tired of thawing out the ice maker every couple of weeks and look forward to replacing it. It's just hard to justify such a large expenditure just for a new ice maker. BTW we did replace the ice maker and after a short while it started freezing up too. Because we want to replace it the fridge will probably last a good long time. When we first tried getting the ice maker repaired the repairman said Samsung should stick with TV's.
Our first French door fridge didn't have ice & water in the door (husband's preference) and the ice maker STILL broke--twice (LG). Our CYV came with a 2-yr-old French door fridge with ice and water in t he door, and the ice maker broke a month after we moved in (Whirlpool Gold). I'm sure it will break again down the line. Otherwise I like the Whirlpool Gold fridge a lot.

I like the French door with the drawer that can either be part of the fridge or part of the freezer. We use it for the fridge and keep husband's many many yogurt cups in there. And I find that we lose track of fewer items in the upper fridge part than we did with a side by side, where the opening was so narrow and things got pushed to the back. Plus you can fit large things like a pizza box or jelly roll pan in both fridge and freezer.