View Single Post

Old 10-31-2019, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Comish was interviewed on this very subject. One way, and I think he liked it eventually, if BB goes the way of this, keep the umpire behind the plate with ability to know the call and signal it.

Two things he likes on this....first us old timers do not lose the umpire behind the plate, and we all know how tech can go....this would be a back up.

I am not there yet....analytics has been difficult for me but seeing how it seems to work for appraising players and matchups during the game.
I like the idea of keeping the umpire behind the plate. There are certain calls that need to be made--did the batter swing through or not, did the ball hit the ground before the catcher caught it, what's a foul at the plate, what's not, did the catcher interfere with the runner coming home from third--etc. I think someone's idea up above of having the pitch called into the ump's ear might work out for all of us.

But I'm so disappointed in the wrong calls at the plate. Those calls are so crucial. One sports writer said "In Game 5, the umpire was calling a strike zone that seemed more like a piece of abstract art. No one had any idea what was going on."

And don't get me started on football officiating, whose referees are only part-time employees.