View Single Post

Old 10-31-2019, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,182 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Couldn't disagree with Blueash more on the rule changes. .. I'd rather see the umpires stay and perhaps go to an audible tone that the plate umpire immediately hears indicating strike or not. They've had that technology for years in tennis where a tone is audible when a serve is a fault.
Well, you're not really in disagreement at all about using technology to call balls and strikes. I never said get rid of the ump. I said use technology to call the ball/strikes. You want to have the ump signal to the crowd that's fine with me. I'd agree with that.

I would point out that in hockey the size of the net is not made larger because of a bigger goalie, nor soccer. Nor does a basketball player who is taller have the basket raised so the challenge is equal to that of a shorter player. Only in baseball is a larger person penalized by the rules of the game.

There are interesting websites that track the large variability of the strike zone depending on the pitch count [the pitcher is given a much larger strike zone on 3-0 than on 0-2 counts] and even on right handed vs lefties. And certain pitchers and hitters seem to get the benefit of the doubt. The strike zone is broken and the technology to fix it is available.

I believe every batter should have to defend the same size area. Baseball already acknowledged the problem with size differentials when Gaedel had his famous moment. If a strike zone can be too short to be fair to the pitcher, I'd argue a hitter can be too tall to be fair to the hitter.