Thread: Fertilizing
View Single Post

Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
First of all your inquiry does not show the date so too late?

Secondly, you want to know what type of grass you have. Likely, empire zoysia-the thin bladed stuff of St Augustine the courser looking stuff.

Teasing a bit but unfortunately or perhaps fortunately your lawn can't read. Once you discover what type of grass you have you can look up instructions on the internet and or the cooperative extension.

Others have mentioned Milorganite. What is it. It is sewage sludge. The good news it is organic. The bad news is it is mostly nitrogen not in the ratio suggested for either empire zoysia or st. augustine probably better for northern lawns such as Kentucky blue. Also, it contains heavy metals, lead, mercury, arsenic few read but it says not to be used on crops to be eaten.

Others have mentioned fertilizers with weedkillers. Again if you read, all the ones I've read are too high a nitrogen for your empire zoysia or st augustine lawn. Many say do not use on st augustine. Most say do not use if it is above 80 degrees. While your lawn cannot read, if you have st augustine and apply these products in the heat your lawn will be damaged or even killed.

The answer to your question. In central Florida your final application of fertilizer should be October. The reason is doing it later encourages some weeds and fungus.
It does show the date of October 6th. It's on the top of my post on the left hand side. It's Zoysia grass and it's doing wonderful on the Sunniland weed and feed I used. My lawn has a reader (me). The bag of weed and feed states it is for ZOYSIA grass.