View Single Post

Old 11-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern916 View Post
@RetiredGuy123 ... can you tell me what a "release of benefits form" is and why would they want me to sign it? Just trying to get as much information as possible before he comes on Wednesday to look at it again.
It is a form that authorizes the contractor to communicate directly with your insurance company in an attempt to justify your claim. It also allows the contractor to perform insurance covered work and to be paid directly from the insurance company. The problem is that you will lose all control over the work, the quality, and the time schedule, and you will be locked in to that contractor. Roofing contractors often use this tactic after a storm. I would call your insurance company before Wednesday, explain the work, and ask to set up a claim. Also, I would have the insurance adjuster come to your house to inspect the project, and would not show the adjuster the contractor's estimate unless he asks for it. Sometimes the adjuster will offer you a cash settlement. Settlement offers are often generous and include things you didn't even think about. The settlement may be higher than the contractor's estimate or you may want to get additional estimates before hiring a contractor. Good luck.