View Single Post

Old 11-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

I genuinely don't understand the rampant resentment by younger people against boomers and our so-called handouts and easy lives compared to them.

My single mother received Aid to Families with Dependent children (welfare) when I was growing up. Those sorts of programs are still available.

There was a point in my 20s when I was laid off and received unemployment benefits and food stamps, as they were termed. Those benefits are still available.

I moved out of the house and went to work directly after high school. Didn't go to college until I was 30. Finished two years at a community college before transferring to a nearby state commuter school while working full time at night. Took additional classes each semester and in the summer to finish undergrad and grad school in two years. All those options are still possible.

I supported myself with no family assistance. Received a couple of small scholarships. Graduated with about $39K of student debt in today's dollars. I got partial forgiveness on that due to accepting a job in a high-need job and location. Those programs are still available.

I made double loan payments and paid off the balance in three years. No laws have since been enacted to prevent that.

I'm sure many of you have similar stories. Sorry, but I'm just not seeing how our generation somehow had things so much easier than the ones that followed and deserve to be derided and blamed for for today's economy.

Last edited by queasy27; 11-14-2019 at 01:55 AM.