View Single Post

Old 11-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, we have been searching for someone to replace our patio slider for some time and it seems the job is too small for all the contractors we have contacted. We have gotten quotes for between $4.5 and $5.5 K for a job that would take a decent handyman 1/2 day to do. The slider we want can be purchased from the home depot for $1,600. I have no problem paying someone about $600 for such a simple project, but when contractors want about $3,000 for an easy job that someone handy can do in a half a day, well that just won't work for us. I wish my tools were in the Villages and not up north, and I had more free time, I would have already replaced it myself. I will call your recommended handyman tomorrow.
Unless the tracks are exactly the same, and the required distance between tracks (vertical) is exactly the same, as well as the horizontal opening, this may not be as simple as you think, and this may be why you are having trouble getting a reasonable price. A neighbor just had the exact same experience getting quotes in the same range you did. The decided to leave the sliders and did something else for the effect they wanted.
While I have done my own home repairs for decades I would not tackle this without thoroughly checking all dimensions. I would be very surprised if the existing tracks could be used there are too many variables between manufacturers.