View Single Post

Old 11-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Thumbs up Silver Star rewarded to my Uncle William.

US troops moving towards Velletri, Italy on 29 May 1944 | The Digital Collections of the National WWII Museum : Oral Histories

US soldier guards Appian Way outside of Velletri, Italy on 29 May 1944 | The Digital Collections of the National WWII Museum : Oral Histories

Velletri, Italy engagements May to June 1944.

Recently on Facebook one of my cousins mentioned that they had found a notification of the award of a Silver Star to my Uncle who had lost a leg, arm and part of his skull in WWII. No one knew about this Silver Star as he had not mentioned it to any of his relatives.

A humble man and a local hero in one of the suburbs of Chicago.

I had taken care of him in the Fall of 1994 before his space opened up in the nursing home down the street from his house. He had talked about the war a little bit when he had has wide wake nightmares of a sort. He would see his squad members from WWII in front of him.

Other times he would pull our collective legs about naked Indians around. It was hard to tell if he was having some fun with us.

The battle around Rome which Velletri is near was quite a fierce one from my recent readings about it.

Here is to the Veterans who have served us so well in various wars like my Uncle William.