Thread: Smoke alarms
View Single Post

Old 11-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,678 Times in 5,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
The CPSC determined the cause for lithium failures the was a high internal resistance in the batterys tested and subsequently changed the recommendation once root cause was corrected. But I would only use batteries certified by the manufacturer for smoke alarms.

https://www.ultralifecorporation.com...hitepaper.aspx
Both lithium and alkaline batteries are certified for use as back up batteries in hardwired smoke detectors. In fact, the First Alert smoke detector shown in your Post No. 21 comes with an alkaline battery installed in it, not a lithium battery. I believe this is true for most smoke detectors with back up batteries on the market. I think that the Ultralife company is using their lithium battery packaging as a sales gimmick to sell the more expensive lithium batteries. Also, if you are going to replace the batteries every year as recommended, then why would you need a 10-year battery anyway? But, alkaline battery makers actually claim that their batteries have a shelf life longer than 10 years, and they are recommended for smoke detectors. I would also point out that Consumer Reports recommends alkaline batteries for smoke detectors because, when they fail, they have a longer voltage dropoff period than lithium batteries, which prolongs the low battery warning beeping time. They specifically recommend against using lithium backup batteries in smoke detectors for that reason.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-17-2019 at 09:30 PM.