View Single Post

Old 11-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

I have often thought (and I'm probably not the only person to make this connection) that the single event that made The Beatles the creative act they were, was their decision to stop touring in 1966. Had they still been a touring band, perhaps their songwriting would have been stuck in the more commercial style of songs that a 4 piece band could effectively emulate live. Instead, they were able to really open up the stops in both writing and producing. Yes, there are tribute bands (and of course McCartney live concerts) that do a great job recreating these later songs in a live setting, but they have the advantage of modern keyboards and synthesizers that can create sounds that could only be created in the studio at the time The Beatles first recorded the songs. I have never been a big follower of Wings, but from what I remember, McCartney's writing for Wings was mostly songs that could be recreated in a live setting, not the creative explosion that he achieved with the Beatles post-1966. Just my 2 cents worth.