View Single Post

Old 11-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think that those who object to commercializing a religious symbol, (most Christians I think) should stay away. I consider asking for payment to watch a Christmas tree being lit up is in bad taste. Look, if you can’t afford to put up a Christmas tree, then don’t do it. Other forms of entertainment you can charge a price for, but this verges on insulting, if I am reading these posts correctly. Christmas represents the birth of Christ, born in a stable, no admission was required.
The fact that it's an evergreen tree being lit up for Christmas is, by definition, commercialization of a religious symbol.

The origins of an evergreen tree during December being a religious symbol are pagan, not Christian. The European Christians stole the concept during the Crusades and claimed it symbolized their savior, who was a) not white, b) not European, c) not born in December, and d) lived in and came from a place where these particular evergreen trees didn't exist.

If commercialization of religious holidays offends you, then don't light your own tree, don't buy presents for Christmas, don't do any shopping during Christmas sales, and avoid any place that decorates for Christmas or plays Christmas music in their stores.

It'll certainly cut down on the overcrowding during the holidays and make things much more pleasant for the rest of us, who acknowledge that the whole thing is commercialized, but need a quart of milk that day.