View Single Post

Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
What bothers me is the history behind the "Christmas tree." It is not, nor will ever be, symbolic of the birth of your savior. In the name of your religion, tens of thousands of actual religious people were murdered, and THEIR religious symbols intentionally obscured. Because of your religion, the evergreen tree has become the symbol of commercialization, secularization, murder, and conspiracy. It is not the symbol of anything resembling what you consider a "christ."

I'm not even Pagan and I consider it offensive. But I pick my battles, and accept that most Americans have chosen to ignore the actual history of the things they claim to represent their religions, and instead focus on the pretty parts of it. Which is - "sparkly lights on a big green tree."

That is what I have chosen to allow it to mean, to me. Your mileage may vary. I wouldn't pay $50 to witness the lighting, but I might come to my local square to enjoy the entertainment on face value. For free. Which is what everyone can do.
I associate wonderful things with the tree and the manger and the star and the angels and the magi and even gifts we give to those we love. Christmas is a time of magic for me and I hope always will be. I tried very hard to create and maintain traditions for our children since we lived away from the grandparents and in so doing made myself happy...and now that our children are going to be on another continent this Christmas, we will do all the things we have always done and Christmas will steal again into our hearts. Christmas trees are a wonderful symbol of the Bavarian Forest where my grandfather was born and raised. Hoping you all find magic this season.