Thread: New homes?
View Single Post

Old 11-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We still occasionally go to open houses, out of curiosity and we just find it fun. Today we went to two open houses in Creekside Landing, partially because that is where we spent six days in 2010 on a Lifestyle Preview. They were both courtyard villas being offered for about $400k. My question is; how can these be sold as new homes? They have updated floors, decorating, and kitchen appliances, but the ones we looked at had washers and dryers, HVAC, and roofs from 2008. If I am not mistaken they have 30 year amortized bonds. Yet, The Villages residential sales department is advertising and marketing these homes as NEW. In my opinion that is false advertising as these homes have generally been rented for over a decade. Now I assume that most, if not all people who buy these know their history, but nonetheless I believe it is wrong. Your opinion?
I have been reading your posts for years and find you to be credible and fair. Although you like TV, you speak up about things that others choose not to see — or try to spin. Thank you.

You asked for opinions. Here’s mine: I do not see how advertising those houses as “New” can be characterized as anything other than a bald-faced lie. (Or is it a bold-faced lie?) Whichever it is, it is an insult to the intelligence of potential buyers.

We have bought several houses over the years—only one in TV though. Mr. Boomer always looks at the electrical panel, along with all those other guts-of-the-house things.

If a potential buyer looks at the electrical panel in these “new” houses, they should see the date of the original inspection — I hope. (It is unlikely that the panel would have been replaced in a house just 10 years old so there the date of build should be.)

(And, btw, a Florida roof usually gets long-in-the-tooth years before a northern roof.)

The advertising should be changed to “recent updates.” How stupid do they think people are. (Rhetorical question — that is why I did not put a question mark at the end.) The false advertising makes the answer obvious.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-21-2019 at 12:22 PM.