View Single Post

Old 11-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I see the big problem being the mix of "smart" cars and older cars with human drivers. While humans can sometimes guess or anticipate an unusual operation by another human, I do not see computers being able to do this, at least not in my lifetime. If we had a magic wand, and could convert all of the cars in a very short time, and have the necessary infrastructure installed, then I would be much more in favor of autonomous cars.

What I think is going to be a bigger problem will be people ignoring the manufacturers warnings, and letting the vehicle do the driving while they zone out doing something else. If there is not a solution found for this type of misuse, it could very well spell a very significant delay or the end of these types of vehicles. There have been several stories within the last 1 to 2 years of major accidents causing death when the driver (or monitoring driver) were doing something else and an accident occurred, in some cases, the autonomous vehicle was clearly "at fault".

I am watching these developments, maybe there will be a break through.