View Single Post

Old 11-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I don't understand how watering a lawn is considered wasting water? The water gets pumped up from an underground aquifer and sprinkled onto the lawn. The water then gets absorbed into the ground and eventually percolates it's way back down into the grounds aquifers. All that happens is that the water gets temperairly displaced before it eventually returns into the ground water system. Unless the water gets put into a capsule and is shot up into space, all water used remains inside the earths atmosphere where it eventually finds its way back into the water supply, nothing wasted.
The needs of the lawn involve more than just water. Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, are all being "absorbed" into the ground where it then percolates into the aquifers, mixes with natural bacterium, consumed by other bacterium, fungi, and whatever bugs and insects live off the sludge, which then feeds whatever birds and other animals feed on the insects and bugs, which then becomes food for the next animal up the food chain, and so on and so forth.

And then, the water is churned right back into your lawn by way of your sprinkler system. Do you not notice how nasty that water smells? Maybe it's because I'm relatively new but I can't even turn the hose on to clean the bugs off my car in the driveway without gagging.