Thread: New Years eve
View Single Post

Old 12-01-2019, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
Even when we were younger, New Years Eve was never a big deal for us. Restaurants would scale down their menus, jack up the prices, and too many people, young and old, seemed intent on seeing just how drunk they could get. Trains and busses were always jammed, and cabs were at a premium. We called it “amateur night”.

We made an exception in 1999. We were in Chicago and went out to see if the world was really going to end with all the y2k hysteria. ������

I haven’t heard about the Squares offering any special New Year celebrations or programs, but if they did, we’d likely pass anyway. I know some folks are really up in arms over the “vip” seating for certain events, but there’s obviously a market for it, otherwise they wouldn’t do it.
I was one of the people involved in making sure the world did not end (Y2K), I was on call the entire evening, could not have a drink, etc., also had to stay in touch.....so I sat in front of the TV, and watched new years eve in other countries, etc to see if anything was going on there. I had worked on making the lights did not go out for over 18 months prior, glad the work paid off.